Scandal reignited, prosthetics progress and amputee athletics
The Thalidomide scandal has been reignited this week following the Lynnette Rowe compensation victory. Documents never before released indicate that evidence the drug's damaging effects on unborn babies was covered up, while the drug continued for sale. There are a couple of links below in our weekly round-up. It'll be interesting to watch what happens next.
Also, pre-paralympic news, some prosthetic updates and interesting research and if you missed it earlier in the week, check out our article about the fabulous Douglas Bader Foundation.
Have a great weekend!
- Daily Mail: British drugs firm caught up in new Thalidomide scandal as German subsidiary accused of 'covering up birth deformities'
- WE News: 'What about the husband and children I never had?' New information on the thalidomide scandal
- North London News: Triple amputee carries Olympic torch through Southgate streets
- Raggiungere: Cyberlegs: la nuova protesi transfemorale made in Tuscany
- The Tales of an Amputee Mommy: Amputee, Olympian?
- Yahoo News: Guitar hero: George Dennehy plays without arms
- New Zealand Ashburton Guardian: Thalidomide court victory 'bittersweet' says New Zealand Thalidomide survivor
- GeneDX: HOXD13-Associated Limb Abnormalities
- You Tube: Planned Poland Syndrome Documentary by film-maker
- Prosthetics and Orthotics International: Quality of life and functionality after lower limb amputations: comparison between uni-vs. bilateral amputee patients
- Prosthetics and Orthotics International: Esthetic, functional, and prosthetic outcomes with implant-retained finger prostheses
- TuoitreNews: Pistorius says he's not disabled by his disability Really interesting profile on Oscar Pistorius
- EURORDIS: European Rare Diseases Organisation Position on Rare Disease Research
- DysNet: The inspirational Douglas Bader Foundation. A new article on DysNet about a fantastic limbloss & disability charity
- Limb Power: 15th/16th Sept at Stoke Mandeville Stadium. Lots of sports for 6-18 year old amputees to try.
Tags: news round up DysNet thalidomide diageo EURORDIS News News News